From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 7:08 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] valves & grease & rinsing

I'm so glad you mentioned that Hans. I never understood the point of a
"grip." I have had the misfortune of cleaning certain horns belonging to
other
people only to remove the hand grip to find gobs of nasty green
corrosion or
mildew. And then I was the one who had to clean that crap off and find
some way of
stopping it.

Fortunately I usually hand the grip back intact, I never put it back on,
and
if there are gobs of green crap on the grip, I never clean it off as a
reminder never to put it back on. It dampens the sound considerably, and
are people
so afraid their horns will slip out of their hands if they don't have
them on?

I actually don't even play with a pinky hook or flipper. When I switched

horns I found them to be incredibly uncomfortable and that the moveable
pinky hook
was too moveable and never wanted to clamp down completely. Plus the
anchors
are a magnet to dents.

I have a really great reason for even taking off the pinky hook, and
that is
to aid in using the third finger. If you recall the ring finger and
pinky are
attached by a tendon which makes moving each finger independently much
more
difficult. However if you allow your pinky to move freely the third
finger
becomes much more dexterous.

Adittionaly without a pinkyhook or flipper (hand rest) and without a
grip you
will not be able to use rediculous amounts of pressure like you once
were
able to before. I find that one's endurance increases dramatically.

By the way, where can one find an ultrasonic cleaning device? eBay
perhaps?

Thanks again!

-William

In a message dated 12/2/2003 9:44:03 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I am fortunate not to produce aggressive exhaust &do not produce sweat
> in my left hand, so my horns were never affected by corrosion. The
> oldest horn is over 25 years but still tight as on the first day.
There
> is no repair patch. Nor is there any hand guard as a protective (this
is
> another chapter of corrosion  besides dampening influence for the
> sound). And I use(d) the horn under "heavy duty" conditions. But the
> horns duties are shared now with two other horns of the same model
since
> 1996.

set your options at
http://music.memphis.edu/mailman/options/horn/hans.pizka%40t-online.de