y=mx+b is about as much as I remember from math.

But here is what I remember from reality:

Last summer a sax friend and I took about a 5 hour trip to the Woodwind and
Brasswind factory so he could buy a mouthpiece and I could play some horns.  I
spent about an hour each on a gold and a yellow brass 103 with mechanical
linkage.

I noticed absolutely nothing out of the ordinary, uncomfortable, inefficient,
slow, or otherwise noteworthy aspects.  It simply played like any other valves
that I've ever played previously.

I also played a 103 with mechanical linkage at a workshop last year and had an
indentical experience.  It's a horn.  It has a valves.  You push them.  Etc. I
wouldn't hesitate to buy a horn with this linkage based on my experiences with
it.

I did notice how uncomfortable my Schmidt wrap is and that I want to dump it
every time I touch another non-schmidt horn!

Chris