From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Michiel van der Linden
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2003 8:09 PM
To: The Horn List
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] horn in C#

John Putnam wrote:

>first I am sorry for starting WW3. second this is what I did.
>
>I ask the conductor him being the all knowing god and me just a smple
college horn
>player.
>
>he said; " either it is itilian meanig "si" as in solfegio (i.e rasied
5 scale Degree),
>or it is spainish and Si is C, So if it is C# alto read it like c alto
then Raise every
>thing, but if it is, rasied 5 scale Degree, or G# then it is "in g# #
alto" or a alto
>(which is the same as A horn right).
>
>I am unsure which is correct, or if either is correct does any one know
?

>John

My 2 ¢:

Your conductor poses some extremely weird and complicated, but flawed,
theories. Yes, in the States they sometimes use Do-Re-Mi as a relative
system, i.e. 1st, 2nd etc degree, but in the countries* which use the
Do-Re-Mi system to name notes _and_ transpositions it is absolute.
(*France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, and a lot more)
It would be confusing if it weren't. (Sympony nr.3 in Re majeur. Does
this mean it starts on the second degree of the scale? And which scale?
;)
So Do=C, Re=D, Mi=E, Fa=F, Sol=G, La=A and Si=......B!!

So Si# does mean B sharp, but that key is not really a serious option.
Thirteen sharps, or five double and seven normal ones, is not a
comfortable key signature for anyone. My theory is that B natural is
meant, but the natural sign got confused with a sharp somewhere along
the line. They do look alike somewhat. Also, although I havent heard it
in connection with B, early 19th century hornists used E# (Mi dièse) to
name the E natural crook.

To find the transposition out for sure look at the score. If the strings

have around five sharps, B natural is indeed the right transposition. If

they do not have any sharps, (or thirteen), transpose in B sharp. ;)

Michiel van der Linden,
Bruges, Belgium
set your options at
http://music.memphis.edu/mailman/options/horn/hans.pizka%40t-online.de