Message text written by The Horn List
>I am almost certain there is another Haydn symphony with 4 horns.<

Dear Bill and List

This would be No 39 in G minor - like Mozart 25 it is 1st & 2nd in B flat
and 3rd & 4th in G.

In my days as a regular member of the Manchester Camerata, we played this
symphony several times with the late Szymon Goldberg conducting.  He had
the 1st horn (David Wise) and myself on 2nd playing the B flat parts
'Alto'.  However, I have an old LP of it performed by an ensemble called
'The Esterhazy Orchestra' conducted by David Blum - these parts are played
'Basso' which, in this particular symphony, strikes me as much less
effective.

Incidentally, Goldberg (an ex Concertmaster of the Berlin Philharmonic)
used to announce a rehearsal break by saying "one more thing before you go
for your refreshing coffee" in a rather disdainful way as though drinking
coffee was a pastime for wimps.  He was Chief Conductor of the Manchester
Camerata in the mid 70s.

Cheers

Paul A. Kampen - 4th horn, Orchestra of Opera North (Leeds UK)