Several months ago I was offered this horn and made an offer MUCH lower than the
current minimum opening bid. I provided some historical information to the seller but
cautioned that it probably should be considered a collector piece rather than a
playing horn. AFAIK the only person to actually try the horn is not a horn player and
is not qualified to assess its playing qualities. Still, another horn authority
suggested (unseen, I believe) that it might be worth as much as $3000, so that became
the asking price.  I haven't actually examined the horn but I don't think it is worth
anything near that much (butcha never know on eBay!). For example I'd expect a hefy
bill for rebuilding the valves and for body/fender work to make it a passable player.
The 1880 date of manufacture seems reasonable based on the bell inscriptions but I
doubt that the nickel plating is original and therefore detracts from its collector
value. From the labels on the case I deduced that the horn was broug
 ht to the U.S. ca. 1920.

Just my $.02 (leaving $2999.98 plus shipping)

Dick Martz
--
http://www.rjmartz.com/horns Horn Collection