In a message dated 3/8/2004 2:11:57 PM Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Hello can anybody help me to put a date on  a single F piston horn I have
it reads on the bell:EXCELSIOR SONOROUS
     CLASS A
     HAWKES AND SON
     DENSMAN STREET
     PICADILLY CIRCUS
     LONDON
     43731
             When I got the horn (off ebay) they dated it 1895 but would
like to varify it if thats possible from the no ??   Regards Colin
Hi Colin,

According to the New Langwill Index:

Hawkes and Son were under that name at the
Densman Street, Picadilly Circus, London
address from 1895 to 1930.  They merged with
Boosey in 1930 to form Boosey & Hawkes.

IF the 43731 is a serial number and IF the Hawkes
Brass serial numbers apply, the number would date
the horn to approximately 1918-1922, according to
one source.

The Boosey & Hawkes company may be able to
give you more information.

Hope this helps.

Regards,    Jerry in Kansas City