I am in the process of working on a piece called 'Villanelle' by Paul Dukas. There is a part of the piece that requires a straight mute; I don't have one and I would like to get everyone's opinion about the best kind of mute (in terms of quality, price, intonation problems, etc.). I don't really want to get a mute that is too expensive, but I would like to have a mute that will last for years and years. This isn't a rush situation, because I am going to perform this piece for college scholarship auditions next winter and at at Solo and Ensemble contest in the spring.

Thanks for all your help
William Foss

"The various viewpoints on Horn tone are held with such fierce devotion that one encounters otherwise in religious controversies." -Gunther Schuller