yes, far from a dictator.  if you want to see a dictator, then come and meet my
(thankfully) former band director.  always yelling at people, never listening to
suggestions made by band members...  he always had the horns sit in the very middle of
the band (by the saxophones), and even if i tried to talk to him about changing the
arrangement of the band, he would basically just laugh in my face.  and this is also
the band director who tried to have my band play a piece that went into 7/8 for a few
measures and was conducting it in 3 until my sister told him otherwise.  but of
course, the players in my band would always rise to the level of this conductor.  now
that i'm scarred for life by my high school band experience...

-rebecca