In american jazz and popular music, and thence spread to the western world at large,
any instrument is a "horn".  I have even heard violinists refer to their instrument as
"horn" when they were playing jazz. Another increasingly heard term is "axe",
originaly used only by guitar players and now even used by the esteemed moderator of
the other list to describe his horn.
Paxmaha

Benno Heinemann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
That's only in american English the case. I don't know what "common
english" should mean.
To a speaker of british English ( or one like me who tries) or even an
Australian I think, there could be not much chance of thinking Horn
means Trumpet or Saxophone.
Greater of the danger in England of thinking it is an E-flat tenor horn
as Mr Kampen recently pointed out.

Benno