REGARDING: microphone set-up

> ...or if an instrument mike with some direct sound from
> either the piano or the horn needs to be mixed in

If by "direct sound from the horn" you refer to placing the mike behind the
player ("in front" of the bell opening), then I'd vote for not doing that.
In the case of horn alone, you'd probably want the mike in front of the
player, and above his head. How far "in front" and how far "above" could be
suitably worked out in a few minutes. Should be able to place horn and piano
around the mike and nail it with stereo miking from one mike location.

I have several Jazz/pop recordings that are high-tech and high-end, but
suffer greatly from the horns being miked from behind. DeRosa plays on one
of them, and he deserved better. I reckon they didn't ask him though, eh?

jrc in SC