Aleks Ozolins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I was thinking more along the lines of using a stereo mic for the whole
project, but perhaps mixing in a slight amount of signal from another mono
mic placed closely (not nec behind) the horn if only to get slightly better
prescence and focus out of the solo instrument.
Aleks Ozolins

     When it comes to mic placement, in my experience the best spot is chair level by
the right knee.  Earlier this month I assisted the local sound company in positioning
their horn mics when the reinforced the local symphony pops outdoor concert.  They
took my advice and the horns sounded like horns.  Direct miking behind the bell even
when recording will not give you that real horn sound, and when you try to mix it with
the "soundfield" mic it will be like combining raspberries with blueberries to make an
apple pie.  We have to remember that as hornists we hear the most direct sound, but
everyone else in the orchestra and audience hears the direct sound + reflected sound
which is what we know as the "real horn sound".  a stereo mic placed where I have
suggested and pointed at where a screw ring would be should do an excellent job.

Paxmaha