Hans Pizka wrote:

> Sorry, Amy, if Scott uses the scores available on the
> market (edited by Edmond Leloir - former KaWe  or the
> other score from Musica Rara) instead of any score from
> complete Haydn Works (I do not know it yet), he is
> breaching the copyright law, as he is using copyrighted
> materal. If he travels to Germany to see the set of
> parts from the Oettingen Wallerstein Collection,
> writing his own score & making his own piano reduction
> from material he prepared himself, well, no objection
> at all. But the two scores mentioned above, are protected,
> as Leloir & von Pringsheim invested a lot of work to
> eliminate writing errors, set better clear phrasings etc.

There is some overstatement in this, although the law of
copyright is complicated and varies somewhat from country to
country.  A basic point is the distinction between the
subjective and the objective aspect of a work:  the
objective, or "factual," cannot be copyrighted and is
available freely to all, but the subjective, or "creative,"
can be protected as a monopoly of its author.  In the
particular case, to the extent that Leloir studied and
discovered the facts of Haydn's intentions, or discovered
and corrected errors, his results cannot be protected by
copyright (whether he is right or wrong).  However, to the
extent that he added something of his own creation, such as
a choice of voicing or fingering or phrasing that is his own
and not Haydn's, his work can be protected by copyright.
The typesetting and the appearance of the printed page can
also be protected.

Access is a different point; Mr. Pappal said he was unaware
of the Leloir transcription and therefore could not have
copied it.  If, by coincidence, there are some points of
similarity between the Leloir transcription and the Pappal
transcription, that does not constitute a violation of
copyright.  (If there are a great many points of similarity,
the court is not likely to believe the claim that he never
saw the Leloir transcription.)  One of the greatest American
judges, Learned Hand, put it this way:

"Borrowed the work must indeed not be, for a plagiarist is
not himself pro tanto an 'author'; but if by some magic a
man who had never known it were to compose anew Keats's Ode
on a Grecian Urn, he would be an 'author,' and, if he
copyrighted it, others might not copy that poem, though they
might of course copy Keats's."

Sheldon v. Metro-Goldwyn Pictures Corp., 81 F.2d 49, 54 (2d
Cir. 1936), aff'd, 309 U.S. 390 (1940).

If -- contrary to the facts of Mr. Pappal's case -- the
second transcriber has access to the work of the first, he
can still make and copyright his own transcription, freely
making use of the objective or "factual" information in the
first transcription.  However, in that case, coincidences in
the subjective or "creative" aspects are more likely to be
treated as copyright violations by the court.

Peter W. Schroth