Are you saying that the Alex takes twice as much effort as the 8D?
Normally I would recommend the Reynolds Chambers clone of the 8D because
of its great tone and especially for its high efficiency.  If you're
leaning towards an Alex, there is a very rare, and mostly unknown,
Holton model 77 presently on eBay that might well go for less than $500.
  This is the original Farkas model from the sixties.  This horn would
fit into a Geyer section and be very effective for ensemble playing.
Hang on to the 8D in case you have to play in a 'big' horn section.  The
trick to easily switching horns is to spend a lot of time tuning all the
valve combinations so the lipping requirements are as close as possible
on the two horns.  Don't be surprised if you suddenly find your accuracy
greatly improved on the horn you've been playing for years.  You might
be surprised how out of tune you've learned to accommodate through years
of practice.  Do it with an electronic tuner sensitive enough to tell
you exactly how far you're lipping each note to be in tune.  Center each
note with your eyes closed so you can see exactly where the horn wants
to play it.  This is especially important for matching a Bb horn or
descant horn to your main instrument.  For the Bb or descant, an F
attachment is more important than a stopping valve.  Have a crook made
However, a stopping valve is a legitimate 2nd valve when using the F
attachment.