In a message dated 9/7/2004 9:32:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I recently purchased a Paul Eastman horn from an E-bay seller.  I paid $808
>
> including shipping.  I spent a week with Walt Lawson and Co. earlier in
> August
> working on various projects, one of which was to analyze the Chinese made
> instrument.  Here is a review.

Mr. Betts's review is interesting from my perspective.  I tried one of these
horns new a couple years back, and all of the problem noted in the review were
exactly the same problems noted on the horn I received then.   At least they
seem to be consistent.

>From my perspective, I have trouble investing the time in an instrument
which, when finished as noted in the review, will still be an Eastman horn and
would have to compete price-wise with other such horns, new.  To sell one new for
as much as $400 or $500 over similar horns is dicey business.

However, if a horn can be made good (or at least good enough) without much
work, then it might be a good investment.  All good investments come with some
risk, and I think the risk is that you might get one that doesn't play well
even after finishing work.

Dave Weiner
Brass Arts Unlimited, Inc.