[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I was listening to a performance of the Schumann Horn Konzerstueck
What kind of horn would the first horn, whose part goes up to at
least a high "Z", play?  A hornette?  A picolo horn?

Most first horns on the Schumann seem touse a B-flat/high-F double decsant horn. That like the B-flat side of the regular double + a horn half the size of the regular F horn on top. It doesn't make it physically any easier to play high E's, but it provides some "insurance" against really bad clams for players who *can* play that high.

And off the subject: please do not quote the entire digest when sending a message to the list. Good etiquette would be to trim the message, much like I have above, to quote relevent parts. Since yours was an original thread, an otherwise blank email would have been appropriate.

Greg