Steve Freides wrote:
received two replies, both privately to me and not to the list - is
that the way this list usually works?

As with most lists, the majority of conversation in this list always seems to have the same couple dozen primary participants. There are probably many people who follow the list who would prefer to remain anonymous. There have been rumors of some very well-known professional horn players who read the list regularly but only "lurk." I'm sure that, as in other lists, many lurkers will eventually start to post. Many lurkers may, for a variety of reasons, choose never to post publicly.

While we certainly encourage everyone who reads the list to participate in discussion, it can't be required and we certainly don't want to discourage anyone from lurking. People often come here looking for help; if a "permanent lurker" can provide help without posting publicly, that's fine.

Greg