Thank you for your detailed reply, Paul.  I was into math and science before
I was into music, and I'm well acquainted with the overtone series.  I was
one of the few in my undergraduate music school who actually enjoyed the
class - most of my fellow musicians found it torture and I ended up tutoring
quite a few of them.  My current fascination is with the "inharmonicity" of
the overtone series on piano strings (which is largely, as I understand it,
the reason that octaves must be stretched when tuning a piano).

I'm enjoying my adventure with the horn.  Most of my practice right now
consists of just sitting (or standing) around and playing things I know
already.  The difference between the 2 concert D's is something I did notice
but, I confess, I take steps to correct everything I play on the horn
without even thinking about it most of the time, and since I'm not playing
anything quickly yet, I have plenty of time to listen and correct as I play.
I seem to be correcting to even-tempered, A-440 pitch, probably a habit I
will have to unlearn at some point but it's just what comes naturally to me
now.  So far, all my bending is happening by lip or breath - I'm not using a
change in hand position because I don't know how to do that.  And I frankly
don't know whether it's lip, breath, or both that I'm using.

Perhaps a slightly longer introduction is in order.  I used to teach Theory
at Mannes College of Music in NYC (mid-80's to late 90's or so), and have
perfect pitch to an almost ridiculous point - in college, someone had a
metronome with every pitch from 435 to 445 on it, and I could correctly
identify which 'A' was being played, to the exact cycle per second, almost
every time, and certainly to within a number or two every time.  My skill in
this area has probably waned a little over the years but I very much enjoy
the ear/brain process that goes into tuning and am looking forward to
learning more about all this as I learn more about the horn.  I've never had
occassion to use anything but even temperament that I'm aware of.

Fascinating instrument, this horn.  Thanks again to you and to everyone who
has responded.

-S-