Forgive all the questions from me but I'm delighted to have found you folks.
Here's a real-world question for you:

I'm playing "Deck The Halls", you know, the Christmas Carol, in concert
B-flat.  It's so very easy, and so very nice sounding, just to hold down the
thumb key and do the whole thing that way, but the pitch of the concert D is
definitely lower than if I play it 1/2.  The reason I'm playing it is
because I did up a 2-horn arrangement for me and my son to play.

If you're playing just two horns and in the key of concert B-flat, would you
choose to use the thumb key and no valves for the concert D or would you use
1/2?  I guess the answer would depend, at least in part, on which fingering
my sons uses, no?  His teacher has given him simple instructions - above
written G (concert middle C), use the thumb key.  I don't want to confuse my
son, so let's say the question just involves two adult, dare I say
professional, horn players - would you stick with the B-flat horn and the D
straight from the unvalved overtone series or would you choose the even
temperament version fingered 1/2?

Many thanks in advance.

-S-