> You can try several things to eradicate unwanted twa-twa

As a matter of addition (NOT disagreement!), Dave Krehbiel used to use a
neat little ditty to work this out of one's playing.

It assumes at least SOME ability to double-tongue, so is not of much use for
beginners. It is, however, a great "diagnostic" tool for good players who
are stumbling because of a bad habit. Dave had a host of the little
exercises that he had me do, all very simple and illuminating. He'd use a
"simple thing, hard to do, and done badly" to shine a light on the problem.

The exercise mentioned above went thusly:

1) with metronome set to around 140 or so, play one 4/4 (we'd start at
written 1st space F) measure consisting of: four sixteenths followed by a
quarter, four sixteenths and another quarter. Double-tongue the 1st set of
sixteenths, then single tongue the second set and have them match EXACTLY.

ta-ka-ta-ka TAHHHHH, ta-ta-ta-ta TAHHHH, ta-ka-ta-ka TAHHHHH, ta-ta-ta-ta
TAHHHH
(the preceding is two 4/4 measures, totaling 8-beats)

We'd do two adjoining measures of this, then stop. Then up a half-step (to
F#), then do it again.

If you (or your teacher, or???) can hear a difference between the double and
single-tongued sixteenths, then you need stop and work it out. Also, you may
drop the metronome reading back just a bit, but if you can't get a clean
single tongue north of 120, then you may be looking at part of the problem:
Too Much Stuff Moving.

There are likely other ways to do this, but Krehbiel's exercises were very
informative and simple. The fact that he was sitting beside me and
demonstrating may have helped me along.

Say, where is he these days? I lost e-mail contact with him about a year
after he retired from SanFran.

jrc