A view from my early 70's, having picked up the horn 9 years ago after a 45
year hiatus. Older muscles can be strengthened, but it's a slow process. I now
have more endurance and range than I did when I was young. I now can do a Short
Call and an occassional Long Call in the privacy of my home. In concert I'm
comfortable with A or Bb above the staff (when I'm fresh). This is not to brag,
but to give encouragement. It can be done, with patience and perseverance.

When you're young your advantage is raw muscles and reflexes. Later, much
later, your advantage is maturity. Use it. Work for efficiency. Listen to your
body. Push yourself, but quit for the day before doing any damage. Find the
tight muscles--they sap your energy. Equipment does make a difference. I gave
up my beloved 8D because it was taking too much out of me.

Herb Foster