I can't give the citation (because I wasn't paying enough attention to write down the source of the information), but I recall reading over the past year or so that an academic study of virtuoso instrumental musicians & how they got that way discovered that their main defining characteristic -- more than innate ability, more than aptitude, more than raw talent however defined -- is an intense drive that compels them to practice, practice, practice.

-- Alan Cole, rank amateur
   McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.