On 29 Nov 2004, "Richard V. West" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote, part:

"If I'm not mistaken, this internet horn list was also originally initiated by the IHS as a means to further enhance communication among horn players. I think you'll all agree that it is a lively and remarkably informative forum of ideas."

This list actually began as a small group of hornists trying to explore what was then fairly new technological territory for many of us--the Internet and discussion groups. The IHS was asked to "sponsor" the list in order that the list might serve as another free benefit of membership, and thus originally one needed to be an IHS member in order to participate. Over time, that membership requirement was dropped in the hope that list participation would lead to a desire to be in the IHS. Eventually the IHS decided to withdraw that loose sponsorship relationship. So the list has been formally affiliated with the IHS at one time in its existence, but it was not started by the IHS.

I hope that the list offers a lively and informative forum for ideas and information. Sometimes we wander away from informative and sometimes we mistake a loss of collegiality for liveliness, but generally I think the list has been a good thing for a lot of hornists. Over 900 of you apparently think so at this moment.

As for Richard's primary purpose in writing (to plug and encourage IHS renewals and new memberships), I couldn't agree more. If you are not an IHS member, please give that thought a lot of consideration. It is worth your $$!

Gary Greene
horn list owner