http://www.adn.com/obituaries/story/5332509p-5270541c.html
------------------------------

message: 17
date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 01:06:39 -0700
from: "rjackallen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
subject: Re: [Hornlist] Cutiss Blake follow up

    I'm sorry to hear that Curtiss has died. He wrote a lot of music
including the State Anthem. I got to know him when I lived in Anchorage from
1982 to 1985. There were several  hornists that met periodically to play at
someones house, and Curtiss sometimes joined the group. There were other
opportunities to play (Symphony, Band, and shows), but he was always too
busy. For what it's worth, I also remember that he had a very young daughter
at the time and she attracted the attention of my very young step-son.

Jack Allen

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Hirsch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2004 8:50 PM
Subject: [Hornlist] Cutiss Blake follow up

Having forwarded information giving directions to the Curtiss Blake
collection of horn recordings housed at the University of Wisconsin in
Madison, I misplaced the link. When I did a MetaCrawler search a couple
of days later to try to find the collection, I found it and I also saw a
few links to newspaper articles in the Alaskan press about Blake. When I
went to these sites, I was shocked to see that Curtiss, his wife and one
of their two daughters died when the four-seater plane that he was
piloting crashed back in June of this year. I never had any direct
contact with Curtiss, but I was profoundly affected by the knowledge
that there was at least one person out there that shared my fascination
with hearing all that can be done on horn through casting as wide a net
as possible as a collector of recordings of what we all know to be (at
least potentially) the most beautiful, spine tingling, sublime (and so
on) producer of sound.I'm sorry that I never tracked him down while
there was still time to do so, but maybe there is someone on the list
reading this that did know him who might want to share something about
this obviously unique person. I don't even know if he played horn
himself. I have read that he taught music up in Alaska and composed
music of some sort, but I know little beyond that.

Carpe Diem,

Peter Hirsch