On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Mark J. Syslo wrote:

> I am commonly called to solo in church, and need some recommendations
> for solo collections w/piano accompaniment.  I have the "Solos for the
> Horn Player" by Mason Jones, and "Master Solos..." By Stoudt.  Can any
> of you recommend anything else?

This is a good opportunity for me to re-recommend the many collections of
voice/piano songs that are available with CD piano accompaniment included.
The solo parts are written in C, since they are written for singers.  You
can sometimes transpose up; you can always transpose down.  It is a rare
book that has a separable solo part, so you will have to either copy the
song you want or memorize it, or stand behind the pianist.  Some
collections come in both 'high' voice and 'low' voice; these generally
differ by a third or a fourth.  I prefer low voice editions generally, as
that increases the likelihood that you can transpose up without getting
hurt.  Most common publishers are Hal-Leonard, Alfred, Schirmer.

Good books:

26 Italian Songs and Arias
Italian Arias of the Baroque and Classical Eras
Mozart Arias for Soprano
Mozart Arias for Mezzo-Soprano
Mozart Arias for Tenor
Mozart Arias for Bass-Baritone (bass clef!)
Favorite German Art Songs ('An Die Musik' is worth the price of the book!)

There are other worthy books, including two volumes of folk songs and one
of folk songs for two singers, all playable on horn.

All of these books cost about $20 or less.  They are great for practicing
alone because of the built-in CD accompaniment.

        {  David Goldberg:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  }
        { Math Dept, Washtenaw Community College }
                 { Ann Arbor Michigan }