> I have recently started giving horn lessons to my fiancé (that could be
> a thread in itself: good idea or bad idea?).  We're now finding that it
> would be nice to have a second horn in the house since I am often out
> with mine leaving nothing for her to practice with.  She came across a
> used double horn in a pawn shop that appears to be an "Oxford"
> distributed by Boosey & Hawkes.  Does anybody on this list know anything
> about this horn?  Unfortunately I haven't had time to check it out
> myself so I thought I'd try to get some background information about it
> before I do.  Any comments or information would be welcome.  Thanks in
> advance.
>
> -Ted.

B&H themselves never manufactured their rotary valved horns. They were made
either by

Hoyer/B&S in GDR under the Schneider brand (better),

Amati/Cerveny under the LaFleur brand (student level), or

Lidl (better).

B&H, or really their alter ego of Besson, used the Oxford brand to designate
their 2nd level student line.

Besson New Standard was the pro-line.

Westminster was the student line (with some extremely effective small tenor
trombones).

Oxford was the less ambitious student line. I have met some euphoniums with
extremely interesting intonation patterns. The 4th partial very flat and the
6th very sharp. Making the supposed fifth between them approach a minor
sixth.

Then there were the Czech made LaFleur and Markis lines to meet discount
demands.

I don't write this to deter you from a buying of the instrument in question,
but I would not only look out sharply for technical shortcomings and check
the intonation very meticulously. I also would evaluate, whether that Oxford
horn is destined to further or to hold back the horn affinities of your
fiancé.

When I retired, I set out the goal to read fairly in-depth literature on all
instruments related to classical music. One statement in the violin book
still stands out:

A really good violin player can make an average violin sound like a
Stradivarius. A beginning violin student sounds much better on a
Stradivarius, than on an average instrument.

The conclusion, that we should give all beginning students a Stradivarius is
not realistic, but we still should give students good instruments.

Klaus