Season's Bleatings to you all.

I thought you might find this information useful since the ugly topic
of traveling by air with horns has lifted off once again. I have had
wonderful, and other times merciless, treatment from the airlines with
my instrument. There seems to be no rhyme or reason why the individual
airlines choose to allow a horn onboard one day and not the next. There
are, of course, some obvious reasons, including how full the flight is,
the size of the cabin and its storage space, and how rude the customer
has been to the gate attendants. But there is still no consistency
within an airline, let alone the same daily flight. In the past, when I
used a hard case, I could often simply request to pre-board with my horn
and find a space, and that worked really well (the closets up front are
great). Other times I've been told to board with everyone else, and
still other times they've insisted that the hard-case horn be packed
down below with the snarling dogs. Since I bought my Thompson Edition
case, I've rarely had trouble getting it cabinside.

Travelling to Spain with my horn studio this summer demonstrated these
difficulties. Our travel agent had made arrangements early on with Delta
to take good care of the 14 horns going with us, by handling them as
fragile if they could not go above board. Some hard cases got on, some
were required to go below. While sitting on the tarmac waiting, we
watched in abject horror as cargo workers hurled the horns onto the
belt. this AFTER I had spoken with the check-in people about the
necessity of handling them as fragile. I will probably not fly Delta
again, at least not on my own tab.

This information is taken from the website of the American Federation
of Musicians (www.afm.org):

*******Musical Instruments As Carry-On Luggage********
Since 9-11 and the resulting heightened airport security, musicians
have had difficulties carrying their instruments to out of town gigs. To
remedy this, AFM worked with Congress to insure that the 2001 Airport
Security Act contained language encouraging security personnel to
accommodate musicians and their instruments. When it was found that, in
spite of this language, musicians were still having problems at the
airports, the AFM persuaded the U.S. Transportation Security
Administration (TSA) to issue a directive to its personnel requiring
them to accommodate musicians. The resulting TSA letter has practically
eliminated problems with government screeners, but musicians are still
having difficulties with the airlines, who are not covered by the TSA
directive. To remedy this, the AFM is negotiating with the airlines
through their trade association, the Air Transport association (ATA), to
make it easier for musicians to travel with their instruments. Both
letters can be downloaded by members only below.
1st TSA letter
2nd TSA letter
Our members still have problems, however, with some of the airlines.
The AFM continues to work with individual airlines to clarify their
respective policies and ensure they are communicated clearly and
enforced consistently. Until we achieve this, the best line of defense
is to know the policy of the airline on which you'll be traveling. To
facilitate this process, we have included links to individual airline
policies on our website. Also, please take a minute to read "Travel Tips
for Airlines" http://www.afm.org/member/traveltips.htm . This document
contains helpful suggestions and is updated periodically.

Links to individual airline policies:
http://www.afm.org/public/departments/airline_links.php
For more information, please contact:

Hal Ponder - Legislative Director
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(202) 463-0772
Fax: (202) 466-9009

Eric Beers - Symphonic Services
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(212) 869-1330 xt. 211
Fax: (212) 764-6134

Brent A. Shires
Horn Instructor, University of Central Arkansas
Studio Phone:  501-450-5768
Cell Phone: 501-472-3350
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
web: http://www.arkansashorn.org