Mr. Hui is correct - the piece is the serenade by borodin.  I have this tape,
and on it Herr baumann announces the selection, as does the announcer.  He also
played the rossini les rendezvouss des chasses as an encore.
Paxmaha

Peter Hui <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Wow, and I thought I was the only one who remembered this broadcast...

Are you speaking of the encore that he played at the end? If I recall
correctly, the piece was a movement from the "Five Pieces from Little
Suite", by Borodin.

Oddly enough, I have the sheet music, along with the receipt from when I
originally purchased the music, in front of me right now. Published by:

Israel Brass Woodwind Publications
P.O. Box 2811
Holon 58128 Israel

If I recall correctly, he played the third piece (Serenade) as an encore.

It looks like I got it from Robert King, but this was back in 1992, so I
can't guarantee that it is still in print. Feel free to contact me if
you need more info.

Peter