On Thursday, January 6, 2005, at 03:20 PM, Ray & Sonja Crenshaw wrote:

The real reason I wrote to you (and the list) is to find whatever is
known concerning an old cylinder record I have in my collection. It's
an Edison Amberol 4-minute cylinder, label# 478, and is said to be by

"Gustav Heim and Waldhorn Quartette"

It is unfortunate that it is now cracked; split down the entire
length. Years ago I played it on a cylinder machine to see what
it sounded like, but I can't remember much about it.

Ray, I herewith refer you to The HORN CALL, vol. VII, no. 1, November 1976, pp 34-41. There you will find an article by Amy Larkey entitled: GUSTAV HEIM AND THE WALDHORN QUARTETTE. Amy reported this group recorded "Die Post im Walde" on Edison cylinder in 1910. First issue was on a wax Amberol No. 478 and later reissued on Blue Amberol No. 2444 entitled "The Post in the Forest." Amy also found several of the arrangements for solo cornet and Horn Quartet and these were published and were for sale in the '70s. I bought several of them and had a trumpet major play one of the tunes with a horn quartet at Southeastern Oklahoma State University where I taught brass and was chairman of the department. I suggest you find a copy of this issue. It is quite informative and interesting. Heim, by the way, was solo trumpet of the Boston Symphony for about 15 years and had an intriguing career. Are you close to a good music library that might have the back issues. If not, write me off list, please.

CORdially, Paul Mansur