Got it, thanks to Jay Kosta's link.  I missed the part where someone said that
the fundamental is one octave below middle "C".  I'm sure it wasn't me.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf
Of Jeremy Hansen
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 2:30 PM
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: [Hornlist] Partials

The term "partial" includes the fundamental. The term "overtone" does not.
Orlando, I would suspect that switching the two terms is where much of the
confusion arises. There is a compelling reason to use partial numbers,
rather than overtone numbers. With partials, octaves of the fundamental are
all powers of two, and make the math much easier.

The fundamental is two octaves below middle C, not one octave. The inability
to play this note for many people is an acoustical characteristic of their
horn, not only a measure of low facility. The fundamental would not speak on
my old instrument, whereas it does on my newer one. Brian Holmes would be
able to explain why.

Jeremy Hansen
Eastern Illinois University