The first transportation I learned was Eb because back in those dark ages
much band music was for Eb horn.  I had played the horn less than 6 weeks
when I was first required to learn to transpose.  Normally now I teach C
transposition first because so many kids have keyboards and/or pianos and
want to check out pitches for correctness.  If you don't say it is hard or
really easy but necessary, most kids will embrace learning to transpose with
enthusiasm.  Walt and I are of the same ancient generation and share most of
the same ideas about what to teach and how to get it done.  Since we teach
private lessons, we approach the topic of transposition according to the
needs abd abilities of each student.  I believe in the old saying:
"Necessity is the mother of invention and learning."
Ellen Manthe