> ...but believe me, trumpets will play the pedal tones!!

Sorry Scott,
Looks like you'd better pour yourself a bowl of cornflakes and sit back.
Trumpets will NOT
play pedal tones. The only way a trumpet can play a pedal tone is if we were to
change the
definition of the term "pedal tone." Let's not.

You see, if you have three bean burritos and a large Coke for lunch you can
simply wait
for the right "moment," stick a piccolo down the back of your shorts and
demonstrate how
the piccolo can play 6-ledger lines below the bass clef staff. But Scott, it
wouldn't be a
pedal tone.

In the parlance of this (and any other) brass instrument list, words have
meaning. "Pedal
tone" has a meaning, and it is the fundamental of the instrument's employed
length. This
length can (of course) be changed by the use of valves. So here's one for you...

CAUTION - THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT WILL USE "AS-WRITTEN" PITCHES. IF YOU CAN'T
REFER TO
"AS-WRITTEN" PITCHES ON A LIST OF NOTHING BUT HORN PLAYERS, THEN YOU NEED A NEW
HOBBY:

I CAN play the basement "C" that's been talked-up here recently. However, I
cannot play
the F-horn's "fundamental "C"

I can play the pedal F on the Bb horn, then go chromatically downward 'til I'm
resting on
the C (trigger, 1 + 3), but I cannot play that same pitch as an open note on
the F-horn.
Oh, once in a blue moon I can, but only about 3-times in 35 years.

Trumpets do not play pedal tones, they play facetious notes, as outlined both
in my
burrito story and Professor Pizka's "special word" which I haven't looked up,
but probably
translates roughly to the English word "f*rt." So, here's what I've noticed;
feel free to
disagree, but be sure to have your cornflakes on standby:

Bb Trumpet - cylindrical, but can't play PT's (also, C, D, Eb and both A & Bb
Pic
trumpets... NO PT's)
Cornet - conical, but still no PT's
Vienna rotary trumpet - MORE conical, but no PT's
Flugelhorn - even more conical with tiny leadpipe, mouthpiece bore and smaller
tubing,
PLAYS PT's
Eb Alto horn (and all its evil kin) - pedal tones out the wazoo... and sounds
like it!
Horn - conical to (ahem!) beat the band, Bb side does very usable PT's. F-side
can, but
it's tough to make a living at it
Trombone - cylindrical, but plays PT's like a duck on a Junebug
Bass trombone - James Bond of Pedal Tone Land. Players carry a special "green
card" that
reads, "007; license to f*rt!"
Tuba & Euphonium - "'Pedal Tone' is our middle name!"

Have a nice breakfast! (kidding)

jrc in SC