This is a classic problem.  The solution is to put down your horn, let the
other horn player(s) continue to play, and take a seat next to one of the
listeners who say there's a problem.  Hear what they hear, ask them how
different it is without you playing, and proceed accordingly.   As a choral
conductor, I regularly ask the group to continue singing and walk out into
the house to listen - there's really no other way to know, and even that
isn't perfect because any house sounds different with people than it does
empty, but it's the best one can do.

Another thing might be to place a microphone and recorder out in the house
and decide for yourself afterwards.

Maybe your critic is a relative of your flute player and doesn't like horns?
:)

-S-