From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Chris Tedesco
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2005 11:59 PM
To: The Horn List
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] Horn switching

The other way of looking at that of course is that a
smaller, more agile instrument in a large group will project
easier, allowing one to play with less effort.

Here is a question to the professionals on the list:

How often, and under what circumstances, do you switch
between different styles of horn, for example, from a
smaller brass geyer to a larger nickel silver kruspe, for
different ensembles?

Chris
--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I can't pass on an opportunity to jump back on my soap
box.  Through
> my horn collecting and access to several fine instruments
with
> different playing characteristics, I have become convinced
that at
> least two instruments are required to be able to give
justice to the
> wide demands placed on the player in covering the standard
literature.
> Having a big, heroic, instrument specifically to cover
symphonic
> repertoire allows one to use a smaller, more agile
instrument for
> chamber works.  I use a Reynolds Chambers heavy bell
Cleveland horn
> for big stuff, and a Paxman 42M for smaller things, or if
I play in a
> Geyer section.  The two horns cost less than a good 8D
because few
> pros have ever played a Reynolds, and medium bell Paxman
horns don't
> sell in in the US market.  I use the same mouthpiece on
each for full
> range work, and switch to a smaller diameter cup, same
rim, for true
> descant work.  The trick to switching between instruments
is to take
> the time to tune the horns so they require similar playing

> adjustments.  Most players can increase their accuracy by
tuning the
> horn so it require the least amount of emboucher
adjustment to lip it
> into tune, then get used to those settings.  At my age, I
can't give up too much of what I don't have any more just to
fight the equipment.

> In a message dated 2/7/2005 11:38:41 AM Eastern Standard
Time, Daniel
> Canarutto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >Two different listeners at the rehearsals of my wind
ensemble
> >(octet+flute) have said that the horns are too loud. Of
course I
> >imagine that your advise will be: play softer. The
problem is that we
> >do not feel the exact sound balance. I may be hearing
clearly the
> >flute (say) but the listener says that he can't. How can
I get a
> >feeling of what a listener hears? Can the balance be
affected by the
> >place where we play? (The next concert will be in a
church, while we
> >are rehearsing in a relatively small room).
> >
> >Thanks for any input,
> >Daniel

http://music.memphis.edu/mailman/options/horn/billbamberg%40
aol.com