Hmmm -- Ver-r-r-r-y  in-n-n-n-teresting.  (As Arte Johnson used to say.)

You don't suppose the horn is counterfeit, do you?

I mean, how much money can there be in faking a semi-historical instrument worth no more than a few hundred bucks on eBay?

My old horn teacher (lessons back in the 1955-1960 era) had a Schmidt-type double horn. (He also had an authentic original Geyer double, but that's another story.) I don't know whether his Schmidt horn was a Schmidt-Schmidt or a Conn-Schmidt. Whatever it was, I always thought that the piston valve mounted sideways on it was kind of cool.

Years later, in a Horn Call article, I read about modifications that somebody came up with in an effort to deal with the uncomfortable left-hand position involved in operating a Schmidt-style double horn. Out of respect I suppose, the article didn't come right out & say the awkward left-hand position makes the unmodified Schmidt double unplayable, but that was the impression I came away with after reading the piece.

If the eBay price stays relatively low, that horn would make a nice wall hanger irrespective of its authenticity, no?

-- Alan Cole, rank amateur
   McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.