From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Steve Freides
Sent: Friday, March 25, 2005 8:59 PM
To: 'The Horn List'
Subject: [Hornlist] Fingering question

At my most recent lesson, I was playing a passage from early
on in the Horner method that started on third space C and
went up C-D-E.  Because I'm playing a single F horn, I was
playing all three as open.  Chris suggested I finger the D
with the first valve held down, a fingering which I was
aware of but hadn't really used much (ninth partial of
concert E-flat instead of 8th partial of F).

Playing around with this on my own for the first few days
after the lesson, I decided I liked this fingering, and
since then I've changed my default fingering for written
fourth line D from open to 1.  My guess is that this works
because, for lack of a better way to put it, it makes the
targets further apart.

I'm curious to know if this agrees with others' experience.

Thanks.

-S-