Tis asked

>I'm one of those crazy horn players that has chosen to be a middle
school band director. I have my own opinions on what types of
instruments and mouthpieces should be used for beginning horn players,
but I'm interested to know the opinions of everyone else out there.
Perhaps another way to word it is what would you recommend a middle
school director purchase for his beginners.  If you like a specific
make/model, please list it, if you just have general characteristics you
look for, tell me those too.<<

I would suggest using natural horns made with crooks in F,E, Eb,D and.  These
horns should be American made and cost no more than $1000 with all the crooks.
(inside joke)

Imagine how easy it would be to teach a class of 5th grade natural horn
players.  No fingering to worry about or use as an excuse.  Just make sure the
music is all "open" and they have the right crooks in.  Ear training from the
git go.

LB