Steve Mumford:
Don't forget, we put air into the horn at what? maybe 30 miles an hour
let's say, but the sound goes through the horn at something like 700 miles an
hour.  It's not the air that's making the sound.  With a little practice, you
can play by sucking in instead of blowing out (who needs circular breathing!)

I do not agree, as this post seems to show a confusion between different things. For a string player, doesn't the speed of the bow matter? But that, too, is much slower than the speed of sound. The means for the production of sound is one issue, sound propagation is a different one.
--
Daniel Canarutto
mathematical physicist & dedicated amateur hornist