James Ray Crenshaw wrote:
The high frequencies travel much better

As an analogue, consider cordless phones and wireless networking technology. Raising the broadcast frequency REALLY ups the "bandwidth," or the ability to move the data. However, all other things being equal, the higher frequencies don't carry as well, and are easier "absorbed" by walls and the like. The lower frequencies won't carry as much data, but travel through walls better.

What am I missing?

Makes sense to me. When a 20-something car goes down the street past my house, all I can hear is the whompf ... whompf ... WHOMPF ,,, whompf of the bass frequencies. Whatever treble there might be seems to be absorbed by the vehicle itself, but the bass rattles my house, even with all the windows closed.

Maybe we really need to ADD those treble overtones in order to end up with a nicely rounded sound by the time it gets to an audience? So our deep cups, and large bell throats might, in fact, be turning our music into <dare I say it?> RAP???