At 03:58 AM 5/12/2005, you wrote:
Some of us have commented on the effect of blood
pressure medication on horn playing: diuretics and
calcium blockers affect the embouchure causing overall
worse playing; beta blockers, while not affecting the
embouchure, reduce endurance.  These are my
observations.

I don't think you should generalize your statements so much. I take diuretics (have for about 5 years now) and have not experienced any problems in my playing *except when I don't take in enough water.*

Now, due to taking decongestants (pseudoephedrine HCl
and steroidal nasal sprays) for over a month, I come
to the opinion that long term use of these medications
also affects the embouchure to deteriorate overall
horn playing.  After stopping these medications, my
horn playing is returning to my normal performance.
These medications affected: reduced high range (by an
interval of a 3rd); more airy tone; more missed notes.
 These are my observations. I don't imply that one
should stop medications, but to be aware of their
effects.  In my case, I'm stopping the medications
with resulting more problems with congestion but also
with better horn playing.  Hello from California's
Central Valley, the land of pollen. (Wife and I are
moving to the coast.)

Again, I think you are generalizing too much. While I agree that the long-term use of some of these medications can be problematic (the steroidal nasal sprays can cause nose bleeds, but they are not decongestants), you can try different medications. You can also increase your water intake to balance fluid loss.

I take diuretics for my blood pressure, but I am not permitted
decongestants because of their effect on blood pressure.  However,
allowing my ears to block-up with the congestion caused by
allergies would just lead to major problems.  My doctor (a musician
himself) advises, and I personally find that avoiding the allergy problems
is my best defense. Like central valley CA the Washington DC
area is terrible.  I take loratadine all year long (generic Claritin),
but during the worse parts of the year I use Flonase with
it (I should be off that in the next week).  I have discovered I can't
handle the 2 shots at once dosing, but if you read the product info
you'll see they suggest 1 dose am and 1 dose pm, something I
can live with.

If you are noticing major physical problems as you take any
medications, you should really be talking to your doctor.  And if
he/she doesn't seem to be listening, of if you gut says "I'm not
so sure about the advice I'm receiving," find another doctor!!!

Margaret

Margaret Dikel
JCCSO Librarian / Horn / Webmaster
11218 Ashley Drive, Rockville MD 20852