Because everyone can't be Bill Vermuelen and might want to be, here is a neat
little trick to see how the aparture works.

In a rehearsal for Mozart 29 I sat next to the oboe player and we
experimented with parts.   He took an old oboe reed he had lying around and put
it into
my horn mouthpiece.   The small aparture of the reed in conjunction with the
horn produced High G's above High C's, sometimes I could lip up to a High A and
a High Bb above high C.   This result prooves that a really fast air speed and
a very small aparture produces very high notes and NOT pressure.   I should
mention that the tone was very full and bright unlike the fake high c's you can
get by halfly depressing the first valve on some horns or something like
that.   I then experimented with a Bassoon reed which is about twice the size,
the
result was a G right above the staff one octave lower.   With a Contra reed
the result was a 3rd space C on the middle of the staff.

Really, to actually produce a High G or any note for that matter, all we need
to do is use lip tension to create an aparture small enough or high enough
for the note we are aiming for----plus use enough airspeed to get the note to
speak at that vibration or frequency.  I think one of the things left out in
this talk was the important use of lip tension to create high notes.   I think
pressure creates tension in a bad way in brass playing; it's unreliable and
therefore it is discouraged although it can get the same result as tension
playing
within the lips.   But the trick is creating the tension in your lips without
needing the added mouthpiece pressure so the tone is not distorted or airy or
doesn't speak at all.

So, what is the biggest key of high playing or loud playing?   Let the air do
the work, relax, and don't use pressure but tension in your playing.   If you
don't trust this theory, get an oboe reed and play some High G's!   Make sure
you put enough air through the reed that it speaks though.   The reed can be
in terrible terrible shape so you don't need a new reed, maybe a friend will
have one they are willing to give away?

Josh Johnson