From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
WIlliam Botte
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2005 1:38 PM
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: [Hornlist] Conductors

The past 15 years, I've been pleased and/or plagued with excellent and
less than excellent conductors.  The excellent conductors were niether
timid or tyranical.  They were universaly clear in direction and
consistent with cues and tempi.  No surprises.  No tantrums.  No
compromises.
The plagues were incompetent time wasters, ill prepared, inconsistent
withe cues, tempi and beating patterns.  There is nothing more
terrifying than to look up at conductor twirling the baton in the air
like a skylight.  Or looking for the noexistent downbeat. WTF!!!  Or the
micromillimeter twitching of the right hand to indicate pianissimo.
AAAAAAARRRRGH.  Communicate with troops in the back row, not just the
octet semicircle within whispering distance.
--wabotte