If God had meant us to attach coins to our valve levers we would still have
silver dimes.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Alan
Cole
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2005 2:13 PM
To: The Horn List
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] Coins as lever extensions, formerly HR

1.  Adds thickness to valve levers that have worn down thin -- prevents
such wear on newer valve levers.

2.  Provides for lengthening the levers to accommodate players with
shortish fingers.

3.  Gives a tactile reminder to keep the fingers appropriately arched so
that the balls of the fingers are in contact with the wide parts of the
valve levers.

4.  Silver coins on the valve levers are  w-a-a-a-a-y  cool !

BTW, I always thought the de riguer part was using older coins of genuine
silver (staying away from those newer, base-metal coins).   If so, that
pretty much rules out using USA coins dated the same as the year the horn
was made, except for pre-1964 horns.  Also, the way I heard it is that the
date on the coins is supposed to match the birth-year of the horn player --
which also rules out USA silver coins except for folks already well into
middle-age & beyond.  I am not familiar with Liberty Head dimes; don't the
USA horn folks usually go for Mercury dimes?  (Might be 2 different names
for the same thing, I don't know.)  However that may be, any way you shake
it silver coins are way cooler than those sissy concave finger buttons --
at least among the rank amateur horn crowd.  (Don't know about the
professionals, though.)

-- Alan Cole, rank amateur
    McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.