Tom,

I agree that there is no negotiating with Al Qaida, partly for the reasons
you describe, and partly because it is not a sufficiently cohesive
organisation to be negotiated with as a whole. Therefore, the only way to
win against them is to starve them of new recruits and other resources.

I also agree that Bin Laden and suchlike people are not from the poorest of
their people. Of course they aren't, because the poorest have no energy to
do anything other than scrabble for day-to-day survival. It is the richer
individuals from among people who consider themselves oppressed who will
take up terrorism (claiming of course to act on behalf of their entire
people) because they are the ones that can. Therefore, it is necessary to
encourage people to believe they can obtain justice by peaceful means
*before* they turn to fanaticism and become immune to rational debate.
People are not born fanatics, just as people are not born racists. They
become that way as a result of things they learn during their lives. This is
somethign which can be changed, perhaps not for those who are already
fanatics, but for those who have not yet beome fanatical.

Since terrorists are almost always a very small component of the societies
from which they come, retaliating to attacks with overwhelming force will
almost certainly result in innocent casualties, an increased sense of
injustice among the people you retaliate against, and therefore a more
plentiful supply of future terrorists. You might kill some, but more take
their place. In fact, one of the primary objectives of terrorist attacks is
to provoke massive retaliation precisely in order to gain more active
recruits.

This problem is made even more acute because it is the habit of people all
over the world to consider their own losses to have been more important than
those suffered by the "enemy". For instance, what is more in your mind, the
3,000 or so people who have died in the 9/11, Madrid and London attacks, or
the 100,000 or so Iraqis who have died since the start of the invasion of
Iraq? I suspect that you consider the 3,000 to have been much more valuable,
and that even though we have killed far more of "them" than "they" have of
us, you consider that the latest attack is still something that would
justify retaliation in overwhelming force.

But that leaves you with the need to consider this. If 50 dead in London in
your mind justifies retaliation in overwhelming force, what can you expect
people who have lost 100,000 dead to think is a justifiable reaction on
their part?

Unless you are willing to commit genocide on the entire society from which
the terrorists come (which in this case would mean all countries where Islam
is the predominant religion), the best that can ever be done using purely
military means against terrorists is to fight them to a draw.

I want the killing to stop. I want *all* the killing to stop, both of our
friends and of our enemies. I am willing to explore whatever means will
actually achieve that end. I am not prepared to countenance genocide, but
short of genocide the facts demonstrate that force alone will not win.
Therefore persuasion *must* be an element of the strategy.

Regards
Jonathan West