From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, July 08, 2005 9:44 PM
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] Warning -> Horn Related 4th Horn
Solo Beethoven's 9th

I won't try to answer explain modern day practice but in
answer to your question:

> Why did Beethoven
> score it for 4th
> Horn if the Principal would end up playing it?  Was there
that much
> difference between expectations of 4th Horns players when
he completed
> the work and today?

Beethoven did not score that part for 4th horn, he scored it
for second horn--the second of the pair in Eb.  It is a
classic Beethoven second horn solo.  Our modern day concept
of 4th horn did not exit in Beethoven's time.  The only
situation where horns would be numbered 1, 2, 3, 4 is if
they were all in the same key.

Eric James