Dear List,

When I play every day for a long period of time, I get a pain in my pinky finger. The pain, which shows up about 45-50 minutes into a practice session, extends from the knuckle of my finger to my wrist. However, if I rest for about five minutes or so, I can play for a little while longer before the pain returns. The problem has been occurring off and on for quite a while now. I'm not sure what causes it; I don't have an especially heavy horn, nor do I use a lot of mouthpiece pressure. When the pain gets too bad I can't hold the horn, which presents a problem to playing. Should I tie several dozen balloons to my horn to reduce the pressure, or is there another option? I would appreciate any advice to help with this problem.

Thank you
William Foss