Hello all,

I am in some dire need of advice. I'm heading into my fourth year undergrad and am still playing on the little sneezy red/white Humes stone-lined mute that is available anywhere and everywhere. I am looking to get a new mute this month.

I play on a Yamaha 668ND (2003 purchased/made?). I tend to play with a middle area sound, not really notably bright, but tending to be darker. Can anyone suggest to me a mute that would compromise the nickel of my horn, perhaps the make/model, or my personal sound? I'm assistant principal in our Wind Ensemble, behind our head chair who plays a Holton with a Trumcor 45. If not contextual advice for my tone/specific horn, could anyone recommend to me a reputable maker/vendor of mutes that would be in the $130 or less price range?

The dilligent dilletante of Horn,
Casey

P.S. What is the update on personal opinion about non-professional players such as myself? I've been playing for 11 years, have had private teachers and won scholarships, but there still is the notable social rift between those who "do-it-for-a-living" or the majors and those like myself. Don't want to start up a disastrous discourse, but just care to inquire!