This advice is free, so take it for what it's worth....

It sounds as if you've done everything you can do, assuming you're dealing with someone with normal, rational emotions. It sounds to me as if this guy has problems which may not actually have anything to do with you at all - this is just a way in which he's acting out his own frustrations/ issues.

For your own protection/ peace of mind, realize that the problem is him, not you. Then, if there's any way you, an instructor, one of this gu's friends or associates, etc. can urge him to get some help with whatever is really eating him, do so! Be empathetic, but don't try to "fix" him yourself. As you mentioned that this is a university setting, I'm assuming there is some sort of campus counselling center that he could try - it might take a bit of a selling job, but you (and he) will be doing everyone a favor...

As I said - free advice, for what it's worth...

Kjellrun

I have calmly told the 2nd horn not to worry about me and my mistakes, that those are my problems to fix, not his. I have also asked him if something was going on outside of rehearsal or if this was a problem with me and his response was, "Nothing! It's fine!" Of course his behavior wasn't fine, nor did it cease. He is extremely stubborn and has now been coming late to rehearsals. The director suggested holding a sectional with him to see his reaction. Well he tried to get out of it and I think he was so annoyed with being there he couldn't even focus to make the changes I asked of him. And he did claim to be doing everything I told him, which he hadn't done anything. He seems like the type to be fueled by emotions or something. He is consistently angry with me and I really don't understand why.