In a message dated 10/9/2005 9:42:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
A quarter of a beat is pretty extreme, and if the conductor was not
complaining, and you felt like you were playing exactly with everyone else,
there might
be more to the problem than meets the ear.

I wonder if the conductor was in on engineering the recording.  Almost
certainly, what was heard from the podium was not what was "heard" by the
microphones.

Many really fine performances can be ruined by the recording engineers.  This
is my personal pet peeve with quite a few recordings these days.  Great
performance, lousy recording.  You wonder what goes through the minds of the
producers.

Dave Weiner
Brass Arts Unlimited