From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Daniel Canarutto
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 2:16 PM
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: [Hornlist] Verdi Requiem

Horns III & IV in Verdi Requiem have Nr.1 written for horn
in A, and
Nr.3 written for horn in Ab. I'm pretty sure that these are
A basso and Ab basso, but I'd appreciate an authoritative
confirmation since the conductor (a fine singer and choir
master) says she does not really know.

These parts are fairly chromatic at places, and I wonder why
they were not all written for horn in F, since when Verdi
wrote this work the valved F horn should have been the
standard instrument... am I wrong?

By the way, if anybody is planning to be in Florence on
october 23, you can find  the play-bill at
http://poincare.dma.unifi.it/~canarutto/23ottobre05/

Daniel