On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, David Jewell wrote:

I firmly advocate that all horn players should be singers in some capacity, especially choral, and that they should listen to - gasp - opera some too. paxmaha

gasp, sigh - for those of us who can't or won't sing, at least we can play real songs and use them to learn to play lyrically. For that, I recommend (again, sorry - but another holiday season is approaching, and they make great gifts, especially from you to you) various vocal collections with CD piano accompaniment. My short list for today comprises the Hal-Leonard Mozart Aria books; that is, one book for each of soprano, mezzo-soprano, tenor, bass-baritone. The solo parts are written with the piano part, not on separate sheets, they are in C (alto if you can get up there, otherwise basso), and the bass-baritone book has the added attraction of being written in bass clef. These books are all fun, inspirational and not very expensive, considering that the accompaniment CD is included. There are many other such books.

        {  David Goldberg:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  }
        { Math Dept, Washtenaw Community College }
                 { Ann Arbor Michigan }